One Year Later – Year One

Posted on August 16, 2010 by

Costa Rica

We pulled out of the driveway one year ago, August 15th, 2009.

Two hundred and seventy blog posts ago.

We had wanted to put together a thoughtful and poignant one-year wrap-up post, reflecting on everything we have learned, how our lives have changed for the better, how we’ve grown closer as a family and met so many friends along the way.

Something like my friend and fellow traveler Sarah did here for her blog.  Sadly, I didn’t even realize Eat, Pray, Love was a movie (another benefit of traveling – no US media influence.) Anyway, I guess that blows our big movie deal ;)

Despite our intentions, we’re simply too exhausted to undertake such a huge mind-bending exercise right now. Maybe we’ll write it later.

-jdg

So, this week we’re doing our best to truly relax in Costa Rica and get caught up on all of those other silly things that seem to come up when you finally have 24-hour access to the internet.

We also want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped us along the way, to those who have given us advice or encouragement or other support, and to the folks reading our blog. Although it’s a big effort, we enjoy it and we hope you enjoy it too.

Pretty soon we’ll be putting Red Beard on a ship to South America where our journey continues.  A year ago we thought we would be there and back by now. So much for making plans.

Previous Post: «

Next Post: »

Tags:

Filed Under: Costa Rica

Comments (20)

1. Tim says:

Congrats and keep on trucking!

2. Sarah says:

Angela, thank you so much for the link and kind words above. I so admire what you three are doing and am glad you’re still on the road and still blogging — keep it up!

3. Mike & Maria says:

Wow, now that’s a real milestone-way to go! We probably would’ve quit in Oregon :-)

Your posts & pics are always amazing & we sure enjoy riding along with you guys. It’s a ton of time & effort but you sure do good work & it’s appreciated.

Hope you get to relax & have a nice celebration. Here’s to Year Two!

All is well in Alameda-take care & have fun!

M&M

4. Rockin’. Bound to cover just a little more ground!

5. Stacy Godby says:

Y’all are so inspirational!!

6. laurawp says:

Team Rehm – Happy Anniversary!!

From The Peirce Clan

7. Tom says:

Your blog readers are with you all the way. Thanks for your persistence in keeping us up to date on your travels and we look forward to another year.

A member of your blog “family”

8. Fatimah says:

Hi there , I started reading your blog after reading about your story in South African VW car magazine ( they send one out to all VW owners twice a year.) Initially I read it once or twice a week but now I find myself thinking about you guys over the weekend (not at work- no internet at home) and wondering wht you are doing. All the best with the next year and thanks for being so wonderfully regular with the updates. :)

9. mark dearing says:

COOL good job guys keep having fun

10. Judy says:

You don’t know me but I feel you’re my friends and it’s time I tell you how much I’m enjoying your blog. I read about your pending adventure last year in the San Jose Merc and have followed your blog ever since. What wonderful adventures you are having! You both have a way of making us feel we’re right along with you and your great photos add reality to it all. Thanks for taking the time to write while it’s fresh in your mind. On to South America – have fun and stay safe. -Judy in Silicon Valley

11. Congrats and travel safe.

By the way I love that quote:

“When writing publicly about your life, I think there’s a natural tendency to try to live a better one.”

and adding it to my blog. :-) Hope you do not mind.

Keep on keepin on.

12. Jad says:

Happy anniversary! So happy to be following your amazing, inspiring journey. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Jad

13. Enrique D. says:

Muchas felicidades por un gran año, que representará grandes y gratos recuerdos para el resto de sus vidas de sus experiencias en Latinoamérica.

Salud!!!

Enrique D.

14. Joe in Portland says:

Congratulations!!! As I’ve said before, I’ve lived your adventures vicariously through your words….with great enjoyment. Hoping one day I’ll have the gumption to embark on a similar journey.

Joe

15. Wild Bill says:

Jason and Crew . Congrats. How many miles have you traveled? I’ll always remeber meeting you guys in Pensacola, Fl. Best of LUCK!!

16. jason says:

Many thanks for all the kind words and encouragement! Your comments and emails are the only way we know anyone is out there reading our updates, so thanks again!

17. Peter says:

Wow, a year ago? Already?

Well done, and impressive.

One day… one day…

18. JW says:

Well done! I am impressed, and wish you guys all the best. Hey, that kinda of rhymes.