Unfortunately, working in the shop can be a little dangerous. I did a number on my right index finger, so this will slow me down for a while.
So, its on to projects I can do mostly with my left hand.
The busted seat springs have been a continuous issue for Angela. After welding them up in Natal, they were supposed to last ‘forever’. I don’t know how long until they broke again, but it wasn’t long. After I tried another welding job, I learned what should have been an obvious lesson. If you melt cold-rolled spring steel… it’s no longer cold-rolled spring steel. It held together just fine, but now those springs were just as malleable as my beloved bailing wire.
So, after a brief unsuccessful used seat search, I decided to try something else. Cut out the old springs. Buy new coil springs (45 lb each) from the local hardware store and tie them up with bailing wire. Later, I wired them up a little better than the photo and connected the middles of the springs with more wire (to limit lateral movement).
Conclusion: works like a champ!
Also note that a carpenter’s pencil make a pretty good finger splint.