We’ve been planning to visit the U.S. for a while now. We have a family commitment in July that has been on the calendar since last year. When asked if we’d be able to make it, if we would be finished traveling by then, we’d only answered that we would make it, but we didn’t know whether we’d be back for good.
That was a year ago. We’ve been able to successfully avoid dealing with this question until a few months ago. It’s hard to make a life decision when you are traveling, with friends, busy planning (and driving) for my mom’s visit. Any reason to not do it will work. We are master procrastinators.
And, Bode had recently expressed some interest in going to a “real” school, so we’d consented that it might be time to change our lifestyle. We like the idea of settling down in another country – at least for a while. They have school here too. But, South America is just so far away. Besides – if we were in the U.S. in July, wouldn’t 2nd grade start in August? And, as late as my mom’s arrival last week, we still hadn’t even attempted to investigate shipping the bus or even buying an airline ticket.
Procrastination. Avoidance. Is it all about to end? I think we were all a little bit sad.
But, the other night, Jason had a heart-to-heart with Bode and a few things became much clearer. Bode does want a break from traveling. Even though he had flirted with the idea of attending regular school, he’s still eager to continue to be home-schooled an travel the world. In his words…
Two month break. Then Europe, then Africa.
This was a little bit of a surprise. We were already starting to think about how to end it smoothly – it has to end at some point. And, we’re all wiped out. So many people have told us that we’re living their dream… but we’ve been living in a car for 3 years. It’s exhausting.
Maybe because a two month break sounded like a great idea… we gladly accepted these terms. In fact, we immediately started looking forward to elements of a less nomadic lifestyle – a real kitchen, hot water on demand, machines that wash things for us. We can see family and friends and not be rushed. Jason can try to figure out how to fund the new plan. We can stock up on school materials and figure out how to do it for real. Even Red Beard could use a break. This plan just seemed like an actual plan. Done.
When you need a decision, ask a 7 year-old.
So, we’ll be looking for a place to park the bus and a flight* for a 2 month visit with family and friends. We’ll postpone our entry into Brazil since our visa only allows for 90 days once we’ve entered. Now, we’ll go to Paraguay for the next few weeks and see what’s there.
Of course, some part of this plan could change. We don’t know everything… but for now this is the plan. And, if we want to drive south again, it will be snowboarding season when we get back.
*Jason actually once booked a flight for the wrong month, didn’t realize it, and was later turned away at the airport as his intended flight left without him. He’ll figure out what to do with the bus, and I will be making the reservations.