While Bode and Angela stayed home and made cake, I went to the shop and built the engine. I’ll leave out the minutia of building the engine – there’s already enough VW porn in the world and I’m already a major offender. However, I’ll offer a few random thoughts and observations.
The machine shop screwed up the case. That’s a bit strong, I guess, but they did over-machine it. I started with a formerly new standard case and crank that should have been machined to 0.25. It was machined to 0.50. Earlier in the week, we called when it was supposed to be done and they said they couldn’t find the right bearings. I think what they probably meant was that they screwed it up and had to run it again – and go find the next size bearings. The machine work is fine, but I’m a little miffed that I just lost one rev on the motor… and they didn’t say a word about it.
Since we couldn’t ever find a new piston/cylinder set, we have to just go with new rings and honed cylinders. But, the ‘honing’ looks a lot like somebody just went over them with steel wool. And, one cylinder has a pretty serious gouge down it. But, what to do? I’ve been told repeatedly that I have to go to Chile or Buenos Aires to buy new cylinders*. All the tolerances on the cylinders with the new rings check out, so we’ll just put them back in and see what happens. Maybe we’ll be able to drive to Chile to get those new cylinders.
Boiling oil. When assembling your crank, dip your camshaft drive and worm gear in boiling oil. They slide right on. Besides, when else are you going to boil oil for something?
The beard is seriously kicking in. I’ve never been a beard guy and this is probably the longest I’ve ever let it go. It definitely adds to the bum look I’ve been fostering lately – I even think people are starting to treat me differently. Someone literally walked up to me and offered me farm work the other day – they thought I might be looking for a job.
Mendoza is the world capital of Ford Falcons. Seriously. There’s one on every block. The 60’s must have the heyday for importing vehicles. Cool old cars everywhere – just no old VW’s.
The machine shop total was 1800 pesos. That included line boring the case, re-working the heads and new valve guides, honing the cylinders, new rings, and new bearings. Throw in another 80 pesos for gaskets (bought from Beto – no one had them), 100 pesos for adhesives/oil/etc and 300 pesos for a new muffler (random and welded on). So, the total cost for the rebuild was about $550 USD. Not bad… but we still probably need to replace the pistons and cylinders. We’ll see.
*we’ve been told by multiple people to not attempt shipping anything from the US. We might be charged huge arbitrary ‘taxes’ that far exceed the value of the stuff once it arrives, or the parts may simply disappear somewhere in the system. The major international carriers like UPS and Fed-Ex use 3rd party couriers here, which we are told are not trustworthy. Even if the contents couldn’t possibly have any value to the courier, they might still take it. We have no idea if any of this is correct, but we decided to not take our chances.